Wednesday 22 March 2017

The Dream Thieves (The Raven Cycle #2), by Maggie Steifvater

Hey guys, this is Abi here,
And today I'm doing my review on The Dream Thieves!
Enjoy!

The Dream Thieves (The Raven Cycle #2), by Maggie Steifvater
Title: The Dream Thieves
Author: Maggie Steifvater
Genre: Fantasy, Paranormal
Release date: 17th September, 2013
Pages: 450
Blurb: "Blue didn't mean to fall for the Raven Boys,
but she has- and the more her life entwines
with theirs, the more dangerous it becomes.
Ronan is the most dangerous of all.
He's the haunted one, the darkest
the most raven.
His dreams invade reality and
confuse what is true.
With magic growing stronger around
them, now is the time to be wary.
Before everything unravels...
Friendships will be tested.
Someone will get hurt.
And a kiss will get shared."

My Thoughts
Second books in the series kind of have a stigma- they always seen to be worse than the first one. But this happens to be the exception, because this one is first and foremost- not going to sugarcoat it- it's a heck of a lot better than the first one. And to add to that, it made me really looking forward to the next one! (Blue Lily, Lily Blue).

What I liked more about this one as opposed to The Raven Boys is that there was more of a story to this one, it wasn't as heavily character based. (There was still a lot of character development, specifically for Ronan, who is the centre of the story- as you can see from the blurb- but it all seemed to flow better now that there was some direction to the story).

I can't say much about the plot, as it would spoil the first book, but it kind of started the foundation that would eventually lead up to the fourth and final book (that I'm currently reading now, but reviewing the second book now shows how what was happening in The Dream Thieves has impacted the entire story).
So basically, the story couldn't be as good as it is now without this book.

As much as I want to say that Ronan is my favourite character, because he is the focus of this novel, I can't- because they are all truly my favourites. Again, the character development was flawless, and the best part of the book by far. Just the way they all grew as people as a group, and they were so raw and lifelike just completed the book. We did get to meet another character in this book,- he's called the Grey Man- I won't say anything else, because he's super mysterious and your not sure what his purpose is in the book, and that's what I want to keep it as.

But I did like that we got to learn more about Ronan, that we got to see a bit more behind the curtains of the dark mysterious and violent Raven that we really didn't get to know much of in the first book. It wasn't that the other Raven Boys took a backseat, because they didn't, we found out more about them as well, but Ronan was the centre of the book, and I can't say that I minded too much :) .
But because the character that the book centres around is Ronan, the book was slightly grittier and darker, and more mysterious than the previous one, which is what kept me engaged from the start if I'm honest.

Also, somehow Maggie Steifvater manages to make her writing both poetic, and dark, gritty and mysterious, all at the same time! (And trust me, that's hard). But the writing was strong from the first page, all the way through the middle, and then the end too.

So overall, I really enjoyed this book. I felt like they were brewing this book up to make for an even better second half to the series, which I'm really looking forward to reading. So the characters were great, the writing was, and the plot was engaging. I also totally recommend this series, even though this is the second in the series! (Although I do recommend reading the first one before!)

So that was my review of The Dream Thieves (The Raven Cycle #2), by Maggie Steifvater! I hope you enjoyed it (and I hope it wasn't too long)!
So I will see you all on Friday!
And I hope you have a wonderful day!
Byeeee!

-Abi xxxxxx




No comments:

Post a Comment