Friday 9 March 2018

Stealing Snow (Stealing Snow #1), by Danielle Paige

Hey guys, this is Abi here, 
And because of my huge funk away from posting last month I realised that I am a million book reviews behind schedule! 
So, this is the start to the steady climb back up to the top, when it comes to reviews! 
The first one is Stealing Snow, so enjoy! 

Title: Stealing Snow
Author: Danielle Paige
Genre: Fantasy 
Release date: 20th September, 2016
Status: Book 1 in the Stealing Snow trilogy 
Pages:
Blurb: 


My Thoughts
Before I read this all the way through, I had previously tried maybe a year ago, and never got past like 70 pages or so. I thought the book was hard to get into, it put me off the idea of picking up another Danielle Paige book ever again. 
But, spurred on by the challenge I had set myself, to read every single book that I hadn't get finished, I cautiously picked it up again. 
And for some reason, I didn't hate it. Maybe it was that my reading taste might have changed over the past year, or maybe it was because I was in the mood for a fairy-tale retelling that didn't take itself too seriously, I don't know. But it was exactly what I needed at the time. 

Saying that, it wasn't the perfect fairytale retelling. There were certainly some issues that I had with this book, though we'll get to that later. 

At the start of the book, Snow is a patient in a mental hospital, after walking into a mirror when she was six. She has dreams that of a mysterious tree that she's never seen, so she thinks that she's crazy. She also has a relationship/friendship with Bane, a fellow patient with a fascination for fire. 
A random visit from a stranger who tells her to meet him at the Tree, and Bane is dragged through a mirror, not to be seen again, and Snow makes her escape to search for Bane. 

When she arrives at the Tree, Snow discovers there is not one but two prophesies that claim that she is the princess of Algid, which is the kingdom, and that she will either end the destruction of Tyrannic father, or that she will aid him in his evil ruling. 
That's where the story starts. Over the course of the next 250 pages, she will explore the rest of the kingdom, find out more about her heritage, and there are some pretty interesting fight scenes too as Snow tries to take control of her power. (She can control snow and ice)

When it comes to Snow, I didn't particularly dislike her, but she just seemed generic to me. She was kind of like every female heroin to me. She was unwavering in her search for Bane, which proved that she was loyal, and that's no small feat when being told she will either aid or go up against the King in less than a month, and learning to gain control over her powers all at once. 
We got introduced to a bunch of interesting characters throughout the course of the book, and the most interesting in my opinion was the band of thieves that can communicate telepathically. I very much enjoyed meeting them. 

Which brings me to something I wasn't so fond of. The love square. That's right, SQUARE! There were three love interests throughout the book, and they all seemed sort of disconnected from each-other. I just feel like they could have been better. 

An ongoing part of the book that I enjoyed has to be Snow's training of her constantly emerging powers. She was pushed off a mountain, and almost drowned so she could learn to master her powers better. It was certainly a test of power and put her under pressure. It was kind of random the way they went about it but it was a part I enjoyed all the same. 

One little critique I have is that the story seemed to jump from one point to another super quickly. It was almost fast paced, then it was resolved, and then it was like, "Okay, on to the next part." And everything that had happened previously was forgotten. There was no learning character for Snow, except for the progression of the powers.

Overall, it was an enjoyable read. It had it's flaws, which I said at the beginning, but the good outweighed the good (even if it may not seem like that from my review.)
The ending was one to remember, so I will definitely be picking up the sequel when it comes out in 2019.
I would recommend this for readers that enjoy fairytale retellings, and are looking for something that they'll be able to fly through.

So that is all I have for you all today! I hope you enjoyed my review and don't hesitate to comment what you thought about the book yourselves! It was certainly an interesting read for me and I'm wondering if you thought the same!
I will be back on Monday, I hope you enjoy the weekend, and I'll see you then.
Byeeeee!

-Abi xxxxx




No comments:

Post a Comment