Friday 20 April 2018

11-20 Books of 2018

Hey guys, this is Abi here,
And I'm now a third of the way to accomplishing my Goodreads Reading Challenge, which means that it's time for another look back on some of the recent books that I've finished!
Enjoy!

11. Deception (Dark Matters #2), by Teri Terry 
As a second book in the trilogy, I was surprised to discover how much I enjoyed reading Deception (maybe a bit more than Contagion even.) The ending was certainly something to read. But the story took no trouble at all to keep me hooked from start to finish! The story takes place not long after the events of the first book, which left me shook all by themselves. I obviously can't reveal much about the plot because it is the second book in the trilogy, but the trilogy is about a disease that is sweeping through the country, annihilating 90% of the country. Meanwhile, Shay and Kai is trying to find his lost sister Callie. All sci-fi lovers should consider picking this up because it's amazing. 


12. P.S. I Still Love You (To All the Boys I've Loved Before #2), by Jenny Han
You can check my review out for all of my in-depth thoughts on P.S. I Still Love You, but it was wonderful to pick this book up. The characters have matured since the first book, and this was yet another case where I perhaps enjoyed this book more than the first, for the plain reason that the characters seem to have matured a bit more since the events of the first book, and I found I was able to gel with Lara Jean in particular, because of this. But still, the Song sisters have returned, and it was altogether a pleasure to read this.  




13. The Hazel Wood (The Hazel Wood #1), by Melissa Albert
Again, you can check out my review if you want to check out my more in depth thoughts, but this book was creepy and surreal all the way through, and it did not let that go for a chapter. The main character didn't have that much like-ability factor, but what genuinely gets you for this book is the storytelling and the way you are woven into the story, and before you know it, you're nearly done!




14. A Wrinkle In Time: The Graphic Novel, by Hope Larson & Madeleine L'Eagle
Although I didn't read the actual novel, I was pulled straight into this story, and the graphic novel did just fine! To be honest, I can see why they've made a film of this! It's got a total family feel, though there's a seriously good plot involved- it's not just an easy film. There's magic, science, unique monsters and cool characters and a wacky story!






15. The Help, by Kathryn Stockett
Check my less than spoiler thoughts on my review, which is linked in the title. Anyway, this is one of those books that possibly started the idea that everybody is equal, regardless of colour. Without this book we couldn't have the diverse titles that we know and love today like The Hate U Give, for example. This was a hard-hitting read that I think everyone should read.





16. Love Simon/ Simon vs The Homo Sapiens Agenda, by Becky Albertalli
So many reviews! Love Simon was an incredibly sweet and fluffy read and I thoroughly enjoyed it. An additional review of the film will be up because I WILL GET TO SEE IT. I also cannot wait to read Leah On the Offbeat. The characters from this book are still fresh in my mind and I will for sure pick it up before the end of summer. Just because all these characters have such funny personalities and I love them all to pieces.




17. Tiny Pretty Things (Tiny Pretty Things #1), by Sona Charaipotra
By far, the darkest and most twisted reach of the books that I have read. Ever. (Though my current might just beat even the darkness that is this book.) The most diverse as well. It deals with addiction, striving to perfection, stopping at nothing to be the best, family pressures, and it's all set in a ballet studio where the dancers are ready to kill each-other for that main role! Oh there's nothing like a dark ballet book to make you want to pull your hair out from the stress that these dancers go through! Loved it, highly recommend!


18. If I Stay (If I Stay #1), by Gayle Forman 
This was just one of the books that I pick up if I want to read, but I want something short but hard-hitting. I have a selection of these, and I was just in the mood to run straight through this. If you haven't read this yet, I highly recommend this, it's about a girl who has one choice after the rest of her family dies in a horrific car accident: does she live or does she stay? You jump from present time, and the events of her life, with the people around her, leading up to her car accident. It's a beautiful book but so very very sad, so if this sounds like something that interests you, I recommend you pick it up!


19. Always and Forever Lara Jean (To All the Boys I've Loved Before #3), by Jenny Han 
The third and final book of the Lara Jean trilogy. It's been such a good journey. There is for sure a review coming for this. Such a perfect ending to the book. I have more thoughts on it than that, never fear. But even though I wasn't expecting the way it ended, I understand why it did. I wish I could just stay with these characters a little longer, but I know that that is never going to be the case. I'm okay with it. I am. Kind of. I will be. Eventually.





20. One Dark Throne (Three Dark Crowns #2), by Kendare Blake
This book is still so fresh in my mind, I finished it on Sunday. My honest opinion: Not as gripping as the first book. (Don't hate me.) There were some amazing parts, and I was anxious that some of my favourite characters were going to be killed constantly, but there were some parts that I wasn't as consumed in the story as I feel like I could have been. Saying that, there's no way I'm putting the series down, far from it, because I need to see how it all ends. And thankfully, we get another two books along with these two!

So that is my 11-20 Books of 2018! I hope you enjoyed it, feel free to comment your thoughts on any one of the books on this list! What you thought, or whether you have it on your TBR!
I hope you have a wonderful weekend full of reading and sunshine- and I'll see you all on Monday!
Byeee!

-Abi xxxxxx



No comments:

Post a Comment