Wednesday 25 April 2018

Always and Forever Lara Jean (To All the Boys That I've Loved Before), by Jenny Han

Hey guys, this is Abi here,
And with my string of overdue book reviews, I bring you my thoughts on the third and final Lara Jean book!
Enjoy!

Title: Always and Forever Lara Jean
Author: Jenny Han
Genre: Contemporary romance
Release date: 2nd May, 2017
Status: Book 3 in the To All the Boys I've Loved Before trilogy
Pages: 325
Blurb: "Life is good for Lara Jean.

She is head over heels in love,
her Dad's finally getting remarried
and her sister Margot is coming
home for the summer.

But change is looming. And Lara
Jean can't ignore the big life decisions
she has to make- where she goes to
college for one. Because that would
mean leaving her family- and
possibly the boy she loves- behind.

When your heart and your head
are saying two different things,
which one should you listen to?"

My Thoughts
Starting this review, I'm not actually sitting staring, thinking what to write. I know exactly what I want to talk about.

This trilogy has been an absolute delight. Every single one of them has made me laugh, has made me close to tears, some times because of the frustrations that these characters bring, but often the cuteness, the humour that each of the trio bring.

At the end of sixth form, Year 13 have one thing on their minds- where they are going to study- what university. That is also when this third and final book takes place, and at the start of the book, Lara Jean- and everyone around her- has her heart set on her going to the university of her dreams, UVA. What happens from that point on is crazy and amazing and whimsical, and to be honest, I can't fault Lara Jean for it because it's exactly what I would have done. And she's 18, she should be allowed to live and love and live her life exactly the way she, Lara Jean, wants to.
And writing this review, I can completely relate to Lara Jean and her anxiety about what she wants to do, what university to go to, because I am just about to finish my course and go off to look for a job after earning my degree, so I feel completely the same.

What I felt was different about this book was that some of it felt like saying goodbye, preparing readers for the end of the trilogy, and hoping against hope that there wouldn't be too much heartbreak. Like there was no way to go back, like every decision was final.
And for those parts, Jenny Han took it to another level. It changed from cuteness to mature, and it went from I love you to I will always love you. And those scenes were so wonderful that they made my heart melt.
Those were the scenes are why Always and Forever Lara Jean is my favourite of the three.

All of that applies except for a couple of chapters. And if you've read it, you know which ones I'm talking about. Because there were some parts that made me want to sad cry, because of the shock of when those chapters come about.
Because you're never expecting them when they come.
And those shocks are such emotion, like pure emotion.
Forgive me if I'm not talking sense anymore.

But that's actually the whole novel, to be honest. Each chapter is like their own little story.
And it all just fits so well together.

So overall, this trilogy and this book in particular pretty much killed me with cuteness. I'm never going to be able to read a cute story without comparing it to these three. And I'm okay with that.
I'm not okay with it ending though. I doubt I ever will be.
But goodbye Lara Jean, and all of your wonderful sisters, and PETER and Stormy.
And your dad, who tries so wonderfully hard.
And the WHOLE CAST of characters in this book.
It was a pleasure to know you.

Okay, I'm done.
Bye, guys.

-Abi xxxxxx














No comments:

Post a Comment