Wednesday 20 June 2018

Clean, by Juno Dawson

Hey guys, this is Abi here,
And I'm nearly there with the reviews! I only have one left to do until I've finished them all! (Unless I finish It ahead of schedule, in which case I have two more.)
But, I am not one to dither on (on here at least) so here's my next review:
Clean, by Juno Dawson!


Title: Clean
Author: Juno Dawson
Genre: Contemporary
Release date: 5th April, 2018
Status: Standalone
Pages: 399
Blurb: "I can feel it swimming through my
veins like glitter... it's liquid gold.

When socialite Lexi Volkov almost overdoses,
she thinks she's hit rock bottom.

She's wrong. Rock bottom is when she's
forced into an exclusive rehab facility.

From there, the only way is up for Lexi and her
fellow inmates, including the myserious Brady.

As she faces her demons, Lexi realises love
is the most powerful drug of all...

It's a dirty business getting clean."

My Thoughts
So, going into this book, I didn't have much idea about what it was about, other than the blurb. And that's actually how I'm recommending everybody goes into this book. It's better, in my opinion, to know as little as possible, because then you'll get as full an impact of this book as possible.

The two words I would use to describe clean is hard-hitting. You kind of have to brace yourself for how graphic the story is. For example, when Lexi is shaking from cold turkey, you feel like you yourself are physically shaking. The reality of the words written feels like a knife on your cheek.

Saying that, maybe that's how it should have been written. It talks about so many important issues: sex, drugs, addiction, family, weight, eating disorders and gender issues. It didn't shy away from any one of these subjects, so I have some respect to Juno Dawson.  

As hard as the subjects matters were, it was so easy to fly through. I started it the 30th May, about midday, and I finished it 31st May, about ten minutes to midnight, which was why it wasn't on my wrap up for May.

Also, the characters were interesting. Not in like a thoughtful way, but the type of characters that you'd be impressed by, and more than a little bit intimidated by. There's a huge group dynamic within this story, which I thought were some of the best parts- they all felt like realistic, authentic people that fit in perfectly with the groove of the plot.

As for Lexi, she was the same. There was no way she wasn't going to go down fighting. At the start, she was convinced that she wasn't an addict, she wasn't going to leave. But throughout the course of the novel, she started to change; she needed to, or else there wouldn't have been a story. We started to see her for the person that she used to be, not the person the addiction had made her into. And that was where we found the story. (Of course there were other factors, like a romance between two people that I was kind of on the edge of my seat to find out what was going to happen between them, but Lexi's development was the main part of the story for me.)

Overall, I'm glad I picked it up and even though it may not be the book of the century, I thoroughly enjoyed this book and even though I doubt it'll make the top five books I've read this year, I'm glad I read it.
Also, don't read this if you are sensitive to the issues that I discussed at some point in the review, because there are a bunch of triggers.


Okay! So that was my review of Clean, by Juno Dawson! I hope you enjoyed it, and let me know in the comments if you liked it, if you hated it, or what you also think of the book!
I hope you have a wonderful day and I will see you all on Friday!
Byeee!

-Abi xxxxx





No comments:

Post a Comment