Friday 12 July 2019

Aladdin Film Review

Hey guys, this is Abi here,
And I went to see Aladdin a couple of weeks ago, and it's only now occurred to me to write a film review for it!
I hope you enjoy it!



Despite the earlier release of Dumbo in February, Aladdin was the first Disney film that I've seen this year, and you could say it was an understatement that I was looking forward to it.

Because the original was such a blockbuster, I was interested to see what my response would be for the new cast. Of course I knew that Will Smith would be a decent genie, even though there was no way he could compare to the legend Robyn Williams. I knew Naomi Scott from one of my favourite Disney channel films when I was a kid (Lemonade Mouth) and knew she has an absolutely phenomenal voice, and I wanted to see how she did in the role. As for Mena Massoud for Aladdin, I was looking forward to seeing how he did in the title role.

And I am happy to say, they all held their own in their respectable roles. Mena sounded exactly like the original Aladdin, was such an amazing lead, and I was windswept on his journey from the get-go. Naomi was a wonderful Jasmine, and even though the harmonies in "A Whole New World" sounded different to the original, their chemistry was wonderful, and not awkward at all.
Will Smith as the genie was a whole other thing. He made the role into his own, as did them all. He had the comedy element, the voice, the confidence which was just right to make up to the Genie.

As for the film itself, there was a good combination of all three: choreo, acting and singing. I didn't feel like I was getting too much of one, or missing out on one of them. It all blended perfectly well into the storyline. My only critique would be that the choreo for the big dance number could have been a bit more intricate in my eyes. It all seemed to be the same copied Bollywood movements that I've seen a few times before.

Because of the budget of the movie (I mean, they had to have something big to be able to hire Will Smith) the set was absolutely beautiful. It was all gold and beautiful, and the palace all glimmered. However, where Aladdin lived, it perfectly captured what it would look like to live on the streets (apart from the view where he sleeps.)

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed this film, even without the lover of music that I am, I am so glad I went to go and see it. There were a couple of faults, like I wish there was more comedy in the film, the problems with the choreo like I talked about earlier, but overall I thought it to be a perfectly respectable live-action remake of the 1992 Aladdin.


Okay! I hope you enjoyed that, I certainly enjoyed watching it, and I hope if you haven't seen it, that you pick up the DVD!

Right, that's all for today's post, I hope you have a wonderful weekend and I'll see you on Monday!
Byeeee!

-Abi xxxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment