Friday 27 September 2019

Waitress The Musical (Adelphi Theatre)~ Review

Hey guys, this is Abi here,
And this is a post that I've wanted to do since my trip to London a couple of weeks ago.
It's a review of the show I went to see:

I don't know when I found out about the soundtrack for the show, but there was something about the music that made me want to keep playing it over and over again.

After researching the musical, I started listening to the soundtrack because, it's one thing to know the story, and to know which song is supposed to match each situation, and every emotion, and quite another to be in that moment where you're feeling what the character is feeling.

And then we booked tickets to go and see them in London.
And I took listening to the soundtrack to a whole new level.
I listened to it whilst getting ready for work, (well, my favourites), in the car, on my break, whenever I had a spare moment, I would be listening to The Negative, Opening Up, When He Sees Me, Bad Idea, or You're Never Ever Getting Rid of Me.
Ooh, or if I felt in the mood, She Used to be Mine.

* * * *

Having seen the show, I now know why it's the only remaining break-out musical from the year 2016/2017 other than Hamilton to still be running today. Sure, it has the big, upbeat routines with the high belting notes, same as any other big musical has.
But I'll tell you what sets it aside from all the other classic musicals that have been around for any number of years. It's these amazing, emotional, songs that pack as much power as a full cast finale would, because of how well the actors have crafted their performance.

They're what I like the most about these new contemporary musicals. They don't have magic, or some mystical fantasy element to them, they're merely about regular people, living their own lives, but there's just something about the script, the characters, the songs and the overall plot that seems to have made thousands of theatregoers (myself included) want to come and see this smash hit musical.

There were lots of things I knew I was going to love about this musical. The characters, and their quirks, (Dawn and Ogie's especially), the songs- I know most of those by heart.
But here are some of the parts that surprised me.
-The smell of something sweet, possibly pie, the moment you enter the theatre.
The way the curtain looks like an actual pie.
(The show is about a girl called Jenna who makes a pie every day in a bakery, where she works. She puts her emotions and her experiences into her recipes, like her mother did, years ago, when she taught her how to make pie. The show centres around her and her mother, who was in an unhappy marriage, and made pies, and found out she was pregnant, which is the exact same situation that Jenna is in. And it all spirals from there.)

This is the big one.
-How funny the show honestly was. I honestly didn't expect to laugh as much as I did. I knew it was going to be funny, there was no way it wasn't going to be, what with songs like "The Negative" and "Bad Idea: Reprise" in the show. But my cheeks were aching from laughing so much.

Other than those, when I heard that Lucie Jones was going to be playing Jenna, and I nearly died on the spot. Let me explain: I've been a fan of Lucie since her time on X Factor. 10 years ago. I was going to see her play Maureen when I went to see Rent last year, but she wasn't on that night. So it was kind of a big deal when I found out she was playing Jenna.
But I honestly wasn't surprised when she absolutely nailed the role. Her performance was mesmerising, every facial expression said a million thoughts. And her voice was second to none.

Not only Lucie, the rest of the cast was absolutely incredible. None of them were straining in their solos, they all acted their roles perfectly, whether they were angry, or vulnerable, or comedic. Especially comedic.


Overall, this is a wonderful, heartwarming, realistic story with unhappy memories, wonderful friendships, crazy romances, and absolutely fantastic, make you want to stand up and get on stage with them, absolutely phenomenal songs. You seriously do not want to miss this, so get on the internet and book yourself a ticket for this show, NOW. (If you can because it's closing on Broadway.)


Okay! I hope you enjoyed this post, and it you did, let me know in the comments!
Furthermore, let me know if you've seen the show, and what you thought! (Or if you've seen the film, which was made about 10 years ago.)
I hope you have a wonderful day and I'll see you soon!
Byeeeee!

-Abi xxxxx







3 comments: