Tuesday 7 January 2020

January TBR (2020)

Hey guys, this is Abi here,
And it's 2020! It honestly doesn't seem quite real. But it's already the 6th, so I guess it'll have to.
Here's my TBR for the month.

1. The Librarian of Auschwitz, by Antonio Iturbe
I only just finished this last night, but if I had posted this sooner, I wouldn't have finished this. But as hard as the subject manner is to get through, it was a really engaging, and quick read. However, I didn't want to fly through it, so I tried not to read too much each day. And even though, I did that, I still feel like I should have finished it sooner. All in all, this was such an eye opener, because even though I knew about Auschwitz, it wasn't the same as reading about what it was like to live there for an extended period of time. I highly recommend this if you can handle tough material.

2. Daisy Jones and the Six, by Taylor Jenkins Reid
Daisy Jones and the Six is one of my TBR Jar Challenges, a post which isn't yet out. Reaching for this book next wasn't a deliberate choice, it's just the book that seemed the most appealing at the time. I got the audiobook a couple weeks back, because everybody has been really enjoying the audiobook, because it's written entirely in interviews. I'm actually listening to this at the time that I'm writing this. I've barely started this and I already love it. To sum up this book, it's about a band that was huge in the 70s. Their rise, when Daisy joined them, and their downfall. Also includes sex, drugs, rock 'n' roll.

3. The Priory of the Orange Tree, by Samantha Shannon
I feel like this has made an appearance in every TBR in the past six months and I haven't got past the first couple of chapters, (the one time I actually picked it up). This was going to be my next read after The Librarian of Auschwitz, but something made me pick up Daisy Jones & The Six. I'm thinking that maybe I'll try the audiobook & the book, read and listen at the same time, this time around. It worked with QOAAD so I'm hoping it'll work out with this one too. The Priory of the Orange Tree is about four protagonists, from both sides of Inys, a divided kingdom. Magic is forbidden, but it always lurks in the shadows. Meanwhile, Tane` is forced to make a choice that could see her life unravel, destroying her dreams of being a dragon-rider. There's a lot of different plot lines going on within this book and even though I've been putting it off, I still really want to read this.

4. The Starless Sea, by Erin Morgenstern
Although I found The Night Circus a bit slow in terms of pace, there's something about this book that intrigues me. Aside from that, it reminds me of Strange the Dreamer, a book which was one of my favourites of 2018, if my memory serves me right. I've heard nothing but fantastic reviews about this book, and the fact that it's a standalone, that I won't have to wait until next year for a sequel, pulls me towards it even more. The Starless Sea starts when Zachary Rawlins stumbles across a book in his university library that leads him on a journey unlike any other. He's introduced to lovelorn prisoners and lost cities, but also something impossible: a recollection from his own childhood. As he follows the clues, he finds himself at the labyrinth, a place hidden far beneath the surface of the Earth. When the labyrinth is threatened, Zachary must race through the twisting tunnels of the labyrinth, to find his own story.

Although I don't think I'll get to this, because of how big The Starless Sea & Priory are, I'll still include it.
5. What If It's Us, by Adam Silvera & Becki Albertalli/ Children of Virtue & Vengeance (Legacy of Orisha #2), by Tomi Adeyemi
These are the other two books that I have left on my TBR (aside from A Darker Shade of Magic which I'm waiting to read until I've read everything else- I want to be free to carry on with the trilogy if I want to) and I'm not going to decide which one to read just yet. As much as I'm leaning towards Children of Virtue & Vengeance, I'm not too sure if I'll want to read three fantasy books in a row, but I also don't know if I'll be in the mood for a contemporary either.


Okay! That's my January TBR (2020)! I hope I get to all of these, but it's unlikely I will because there are some fairly big books in this TBR!
I hope you enjoyed the post, and feel free to comment with book you think I should choose!
I will see you all soon guys, and I hope you have a wonderful day!
Byeeeee!

-Abi xxxxx 






2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I've already finished it and I loved it as well! Listened to the audiobook in 2 days!

      Delete