Tuesday 28 January 2020

All My Favourite Fairytale Retellings!

Hey guys, this is Abi here,
And today I will be listing some of my favourite fairytale retellings! (Basically all of the retellings that I've read to date.) But then, every fairytale that I've read, I've enjoyed one heck of a lot!
Enjoy!

1. The Surface Breaks, by Louise O' Neill
This is known as a feminist version of The Little Mermaid, and I am pleased to say that I thoroughly enjoyed it! Based more on Anderson's original story, as opposed to the Disney Classic film, it's a lot darker than you would expect going into the story, so just be aware of that when you pick this up. You read from the POV of Gaia, one of the seven mermaid princesses, and the only one who longs to break the surface. A year after she saves a young man from drowning, unable to take it any longer, she trades her legs and voice and swims towards the surface, in the hope that she finds love, happiness, and all in all, her mother, who was lost at sea when Gaia was young.  I haven't even picked at the surface for how good this book is, when there is so much more below the surface (ha...) so do yourself a favour and pick it up, especially if you're in the mood for a Little Mermaid retelling that's dark and twisted.

I read this long before I started this blog and it still remains one of my go to reads when I'm in the mood for a re-read with both decent plot and characters. The POV jumps from Rosie & Scarlett, two sisters that run around their town, killing Fenris (werewolves) and protecting the town. There's romance, violence, sisterly love and a ritual, and even though I usually don't read many books that have a ritual in them, because I'm not a huge fan of that trope, this book is so easy to fly through and so easy to get invested in, that I honestly don't mind. I also love the cover (even though I'm still annoyed that they decided to change the cover design half way through the series!)

Sweetly constantly switches places with Sisters Red for my favourite book of the series. When the first book in the series was an adaption of Little Red Riding Hoods (they wear red capes when they're out hunting), the fairytale for Sweetly is more easy to guess. It's based off of Hansel & Gretel, and it makes me hungry for all the chocolates, every time I read it. Because one of the characters owns a chocolatier. Anyway, what I love the most about this book is that it never loses the premise of Hansel & Gretel, it's just a bit darker, with more violence and intrigue. I really should re-read this series again.

Although I prefer The Surface Breaks (they're both Little Mermaid retellings), this was the first one that I had ever read. I haven't read this in a while and it's definitely the one I remember the least, but it's kind of a race against time between two characters. Lo, who wants to take the boy she once saved, so she can have her soul back; and Celia who, according to her anyway, has the worst power out of her sisters (she can see the past.) Both girls, when they form a friendship, also have no idea they're competing for Jude (they boy's) affections. All I remember was that this shit was INTENSE.

Even though the synopsis on Goodreads makes this sound like a manufactured book about the classic fairytale Snow Queen, this was a book that surprised me with every chapter. I know that when I read this, I was a bit nervous as for what I was going to think, being that my thoughts on Fathomless weren't very encouraging. But this is basically a hide and seek tale, with Ginny pursuing Kai, her love for forever, after he mysteriously vanishes, after following a mysterious yet beautiful white woman. With the help of the last Reynolds brother (the Reynolds brothers are a recurring theme in this series- and you don't see me complaining, because they're all awesome) you get to read this beautiful and descriptive story as the Fairytale Retellings series comes to an end.

6. The Girl in Red, by Christina Henry
I feel like I've talked about this in practically every other post I've done since I've read this book. I love this book so much because of the main character, Red. She has one goal throughout the course the book, and that is to find her grandmother. I also love the protagonist because she was what the book needed, which wasn't necessarily what I thought I wanted to read about. I love her character, because not only is she tough, but she's got a gammy leg, which makes her real and relatable. She symbolises that even if your not perfect, you can still survive, so long as you stay strong and don't lose focus.


Okay! That was my favourite Fairytale Retellings list! I hope you enjoyed the list, and feel free to share your recommendations, because I love reading these retellings!
I hope you all have a wonderful evening, and I'll see you all soon!
Byeeee!

-Abi xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment