Wednesday 7 September 2016

Sisters Red (Fairytale Retellings #1), by Jackson Pearce

Hey guys, this is Abi here,
And since I've already finished Sister's Red (and Sweetly) then I thought I'd do a review of Sister's Red!
So here's my review!

Sisters Red (Fairytale Retellings #1), by Jackson Pearce
Title: Sisters Red
Author: Jackson Pearce
Genre: Action, fairytale retelling, with a fair bit of romance
Release date: 7th June, 2010
Pages: 344
Blurb: "Love and fear collide
in a twilight world

Countless teenage girls have been brutally murdered... 
and Scarlett and Rosie March know how they died- 
torn apart by werewolves. For Scarlett, the memories of a similar 
attack have left not just emotional scars, but physical ones. 
The sisters fight side by side to save others from the same fate. 

When the mysterious and brooding Silas arrives he inadvertently 
causes a series of events that could endanger them all. 
As passion grows between Rosie and Silas, Scarlett uncovers 
some shocking secrets that could tear the Sisters apart-
one way or another..."

My Thoughts
If you've been watching my blog for a while then it's no secret that I love this series (Sisters Red especially), just because it's a very dark retelling of Little Red Riding Hood, where their swinging hatches and knives. What's not to like? Not to mention that the characters are completely relatable, if not in what their hobby is (fighting werewolves), but in their personalities. Also, the fact that you switch from Scarlett's and Rosie's perspectives, you get to see the whole picture, and it's done incredibly well. 

One thing I particularly like about this book is that its only loosely based on the fairytale. Like there were some similarities, but it was also quite different to the fairytale we all know so well. 
Actually pretty much the only thing that was similar to the fairytale was Rosie's character, and even she brought the classic fairytale into the modern world.  

Now, the characters. The story focuses on three characters called Scarlett and Rosie, who are sisters, and Silas, Scarlett's hunting partner. After a vicious attack at the start of the book, which leaves Scarlett without an eye, the book moves forward five years to when Rosie is sixteen, Scarlett is eighteen, and Silas is twenty-one, but the effects of that attack are still in play. What I liked about this was that each character reacted differently. (Scarlett has a one track mind about hunting, and it completes her. She does it because it's the right thing to do, but also because she wants to protect Rosie from what happened to her. Silas hunts because it's what he's always done, but he wants something more, and Rosie hunts because it's what Scarlett asks of her, and she owes her life to her, and also because she feels it's her responsibility.) 

And finally, the first time I read this, the plot had me on the edge of my seat, from start to finish, particularly on the second half.

So overall, it was fast-paced, the characters were incredibly easy to relate to, and it had me excited to read Sweetly, the second book in the series. Which means that I totally recommend this book to anyone who will listen! So go and read it! I promise, you won't regret it. 

So that was my review of Sisters Red! I hope you enjoyed, and please pick up the book! 
So I will see you all on Friday, when I will most likely be reviewing Sweetly, the second book in the series. So, byeeeeee!

-Abi xxxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment