Sunday 11 September 2016

Sweetly (Fairytale Retelling #2), by Jackson Pearce

Hey guys, this is Abi here,
And as promised, today I will be doing my review of Sweetly, the second book in the fairy-tale retelling series.
Sorry it's a little later in the day, but here's the review.

Sweetly (Fairytale Retelling #2), by Jackson Pearce 
Title: Sweetly
Author: Jackson Pearce
Genre: Retelling, romance, and a bit of action 
Release date: 2011 
Pages: 310
Blurb: "Deep in the dark forest there's a 
wicked witch, who lives in a house
made of chocolate and liqourice. 

It was just a dare between three siblings- 
a deadly game that only two survived. 

Twelve years later, in a town far away, Ansel
and Gretchen finally find sweet love and sanctuary. 

But this sleepy town carries a bittersweet secret
that forces Ansel and Gretchen to return to the dark 
forest and confront their childhood terrors..."

My Thoughts
This book is one of the few books that I love more and more every time I read them. I find that I'm noticing more, and with that comes more enjoyment of the story. This book is so good, it's actually overtaken Sisters Red as my favourite (even though I've only read these two- I have about 125 pages left of Fathomless, but I hope to finish that tomorrow, so I can review it for you guys!) 

To be honest, I don't know quite what it is that makes me love this book so much. I mean, I have aspects of what I particularly liked, but that's as far as it goes. Actually, I think what it is is that nothing felt rushed. There was a layer of mystery in this book that is hard to do, particularly when it's rushed. But the whole book flowed in a way that I rarely see in these types of books, and I really liked that. 

Another thing I liked was the description. For the majority of this book Ansel and Gretchen (the protagonist) are residing with Sophia (I'll get to her in a minute) in a chocolateir, and I swear, Jackson Pearce makes those chocolates sounds so delicious that by the time you've finished the book (like one day later) you'll have gained half a stone. 

Now, on to Sophia. This character is very complex, and she is a vital part to the mystery surrounding the plot. If you ever read this book, beware of this character, because she is more than she appears.(She isn't as bad as I make out, far from it, but she is a most complex character.)

Another thing, this book isn't that different from Sisters Red, because there are still fenris and werewolf hunting, but it isn't the central focus in this book, and although I liked that aspect in Sisters Red, the fact that the plot became all the more complex in this one gives the reader a bit of an insight in how the whole series may come together towards the end, which is another thing I liked. (Sorry for the immensely long sentence, and sorry if it didn't make sense, but that's the only way I can explain things.)

Now, Gretchen. Our protagonist changed a great deal throughout this book. She went from being shy and curious with low self esteem, to being confident and sure of herself. This has to do with a certain young man named Samuel Reynolds. He is tough and closed off at the start, but towards the end he and Gretchen become a team, having each other's back, and falling for each-other at the same time. It's a nice thing to see, being in love with the person that is your friend first, and it's nice to see Jackson Pearce include it (it was also in Sisters Red.)

Also, another thing that appeared again (that was evident in Sisters Red as well) is that close sibling bond between Ansel and Gretchen. They had each-other's backs from the get go, when they got kicked out of their stepmother's house, and that bond continued all the way through to that crazy (yet great) ending. 

So overall I loved this book, I loved everything about it, and I sincerelly hope you all try it, especially if you want something not too time consuming, and complex, with amazing characters. Seriously!

So that is my review for Sweetly! I hope you enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed reviewing it, (I enjoyed reviewing it very much!) So I will see you all tomorrow, when I will (hopefully) be reviewing the next book in the series, Fathomless!

Also, you may have heard, but I REACHED 10,000 VIEWS! I really couldn't have done it without you guys, and I love you all! 
So I will see you all tomorrow, byeeeee!

-Abi xxxxxx


No comments:

Post a Comment