Monday 26 December 2016

Flawed (Flawed #1), by Cecelia Ahern

Hey guys, this is Abi here,
And I thought that since I have two book reviews (plus one movie review) to get through before the end of the year, I thought I'd do one now!
So, this is my Flawed review, by Cecelia Ahern!
I hope you enjoyed it, because I really did love this book.
So, enjoy!

Flawed (Flawed #1), by Cecelia Ahern
Title: Flawed
Author: Cecelia Ahern
Genre: Sci-fi and Dystopian
Release date: 24th March, 2016
Pages: 402
Blurb: "Celestine North lives a perfect life.
She's a model daughter and sister, she's
well-liked by her classmates and
teachers, and she's dating the
impossibly charming Art Crevan.

But then Celestine encounters
a situation in which she makes an
instinctive decision. She breaks a
rule and now faces life-changing
repercussions. She could be
imprisoned. She could be branded.
She could be found FLAWED.

In this stunning novel, bestselling
author Cecelia Ahern depicts a society
in which perfection is paramount
and mistakes are punished.

And where one young woman
decides to take a stand that could
cost her everything."

My Thoughts
I'd been brooding over this book for nine months before I got the chance to read it, and if I thought I was excited back in March, it didn't even begin to compare how much I was anticipating it by December. Even if it is a dystopian, it still sounded unique and interesting.

Flawed is set in a world, where there are two types of people: Normal people; and flawed people. Imagine a world where people can become flawed for making a moral or ethnic decision. That decision will cause you to become known as 'flawed', which means that you will be isolated, and despised by the rest of society for the rest of your life. This is the world that the story takes place in.

This concept makes for an interesting story, especially as something as mediocre as helping someone who is flawed when they are mistreated can label you with the same thing, and land you in the same position, being despised by the rest of society. It's anything that can be seen as 'morally incorrect' that could land you as flawed, really. And that's not just for the week either.

Okay, enough backstory. This book was amazing. Honest and blunt, it stabs you right in the feels, and you become ingested in the story almost instantly. There isn't a lot wrong with this to be honest.
Slap band in what people seem to thing is a tired genre that seems to have been done way too much (dystopian), new releases in this genre can either sink or swim. This one swam.

What can I say about the plot? The plot was captivating and interesting from the start. It started off with where Celestine was before she her 'morally incorrect' decision', when her neighbour was carried off by officials, having been accused of being flawed. (This is not a spoiler, this happens in the first page). But from that point onwards, the plot has you captivated, from chapter to chapter.

A big part of this story is the world building, and a big part of that is that this is a very likely future for our world, because everything is the same as it is today, expect for the flawed law, and that is scary when you are reading this book, how similar this world and ours is, right now, is strange.

Also, with a story this good, you'd expect there to be some holes with the characters, but I truly couldn't detect any, even with the smaller characters. The characters were constantly surprising me with their reactions to the events in the stories. Characters that weren't so close to Celestine at the start in particularly, surprised me with their compassion and support, and vice versa. They all had enough character development that they didn't look two dimensional, and they all played a vital piece to the story, so there weren't any pointless characters.
Another point I'd like to make is that there was a real family element to this book, particularly between Celestine and her sister, Juniper.

As for the sequel, I really am looking forward to seeing how it ends. I also don't want it to end, but I want to see what happens, so I will definitely be reading the sequel as soon as it comes out, (30th March, 2017). There's more to this story, and I am really excited to see what it is.

So that is my review for Flawed, by Cecelia Ahern! If you enjoyed it, let me know! What are your thoughts on this book, and are you interested in reading it? Let me know in the comments!
So I will see you all on Wednesday, when I will be reviewing Paper Towns, by John Green!
Have a wonderful day, and I will see you then!
Byeeee!

-Abi xxxxx





No comments:

Post a Comment