Thursday 15 December 2016

Prodigy (Legend #2), by Marie Lu

Hey guys, this is Abi here,
And... today I am posting my review for the middle book for the genius Legend trilogy, by Marie Lu: Prodigy!
Enjoy!

Prodigy (Legend #2), by Marie Lu
Title: Prodigy
Author: Marie Lu
Genre: Sci-fi, fantasy, dystopian, romance.
Release date: 29th January, 2013
Pages: 354
Blurb: " MISSING
JUNE IPARIS
AGENT, LOS ANGELES CITY PATROL,
15, FEMALE, 5 FT 4 IN.
350,000 REPLUBLIC NOTES REWARD

IF SEEN, REPORT
IMMEDIATELY TO YOUR
LOCAL OFFICIAL

That's what the Republic wants their people to think.
That I'm 'missing'.
What they don't say is they want me dead.
I helped Day, the country's most notorious criminal,
escape his execution, aided the rebel patriots in a
staged uprising and turned my back on the republic,
But I won't turn my back on Day..."

My Thoughts
I have kind of mixed thoughts on this one. It felt kind of like a filler book, the book that starts off with the smaller velocity of the first book, and just builds and builds and builds until- the plot consumes you.
It goes from one point, twists something, turns the entire plot on it's head, and forms the foundation for the final book in the trilogy.
If I thought this trilogy started off predictable, that ended at that book. Because it was like a rollercoaster, to be honest.
Marie Lu packs one hell of a punch, I'll say that much. It went from strength to strength, then there was a development in the plot because a character found out some information, then bullets and chaos, and then, when all hope seemed lost, BAM! Ending....
And then something heart-breaking that shapes the last book.
This book gripped me and didn't let go.

As for the characters, they were the same characters as they were in Legend, only more developed, which tied into the plot really nicely. There were a couple of new characters, one of which changed the entire story massively, and the impact that this character had on the rest of them, shaped how the story continued from the moment they were introduced. They caused quite a stir with some of the characters as well, which was good to see.

Also, (extra plot point) the events that took place in this book were sharp. Talking knife on cheek sharp. There were casualties left and right, suspicions and loyalties up and down, and rebellion all around.
Which brings me to the feeling of rebellion. A big part of this book is the rebellion, and the whole thing would have failed had the rebellion not felt real enough. (The rebellion was a constant threat, because any move that any character of power could do would throw them back into war with the colonies). But the feeling that the world would descend into chaos with the war between the colonies, and the Republic, fortunately, did work really well.

As for the writing, it remained the same as before,  (that's a good thing), and I have no complaints whatsoever.

So what can I say about Prodigy? For a second book in the trilogy, it definitely packed a punch. It was a link from the first book, that ended in a whirlwind of events, to what was certain to be an amazing finale. It was sharp; the way the events hit you was like a knife to the cheek. In short, I really enjoyed it.

So that was my review of the second book in the Legend trilogy: Prodigy! I hope you enjoyed it, and I will see you all soon.
Byeeee!

-Abi xxxxx







No comments:

Post a Comment