Thursday 8 December 2016

House Rules, by Jodi Picoult

Hey guys, this is Abi here,
And I haven't done a review in a while it seems. Almost two months, but I'm doing one now- and I will be doing a bunch of them this month, as I was literally just posting NaNoWriMo updates last month (if you're not a writer I apologise, but I will be back to posting about books as of now!)

I also haven't done a Jodi Picoult book recently, though I have read a fair amount of Jodi Picoult this year- three new books that I've read this year, if my count is correct!

So this is my third review year! Here is my House Rules review, by Jodi Picoult!

House Rules, by Jodi Picoult
Image result for house rules book coverTitle: House Rules
Author: Jodi Picoult
Genre: Contemporary, crime.
Release date: 2nd March, 2010
Pages: 603
Blurb: "When Emma Hunt's son is
diagnosed with Asperger's,
she knows she will do
anything to help him.

She expects people not to understand.
She expects the stares and whispers.
She even expects trouble with the police.

But she doesn't expect Jacob to be
charged with murder.

And when all the hallmarks of your son's condition
-his tics, his inappropriate actions, his inability to look
you in the eye- can be read as guilt; when you cannot
put your hand on your heart and swear he is innocent...

How can you help your child then?"  


My Thoughts
I was quite interested to read this book leading up to it, to be honest. Not only was it because people have talked about how I have some of the traits of a person who suffers with aspergers (and aspergers is a big part of this book), but because I wanted to see how even an aspergers child's (I say child, his disorder makes me act quite like a child, but he's actually 18) behaviour was eratic enough to be accused of murder. It was like an information book with that burst of mystery and suspense, to be honest. 
And unsurprisingly, I loved it. 
This book was actually really easy to get into, I have to admit, despite the massive 500 pages. And that's intimidating. But I didn't choose to read a book that has more than 500 pages, for nothing, and so I started House Rules.
And it was actually very good. It pulled me in straight away. First with shock, because, this kid (Jacob) with aspergers, likes to re-create crime shows.
Also, this book is the type of book where you don't need to pay attention (much), because most of the events in this book will be brought back at another point in the story, but you also do need to pay attention, for the same reason. (If that makes sense???)
Probably doesn't, but you do need to pay attention to the events in this book, because Jodi Picoult has a habit of plot twists.


The plot was actually quite enjoyable (and if that makes me a psycho because it was a thriller, then...)
Anyway, the plot was decent. It had twists and turns, some plot points where unpredictable, others weren't, though I wasn't able to predict what was going to happen much (I do give myself credit for suspecting something that turned out to be a MAJOR plot point :D), but you will never be bored. If you are on the fence as to read this book, I promise you will never be bored.
Because something is ALWAYS happening.

Again, the different perspectives of the family that were surrounding the murder, as well as Jacob's lawyer and a couple of other people were really interesting, (Jodi Picoult is good at different perspectives) and it really helps you to see the whole picture.

As for the writing, it was just enough. It wasn't too much description, and there was enough dialogue. It was just right, and that's the way I like it.


So that is my House Rules review, by Jodi Picoult! I hope you enjoyed it, and sorry for waiting for sooooo long before posting it, BUT I FINALLY POSTED IT!
So I will see you tomorrow (hopefully- if I don't get super lazy again)! Have an amazing day, and I will see you all tomorrow!
And please get voting for which book you want me to read (out of The Wolf Wilder, Paper Towns and Stealing Snow, because right now, two of them are tied- someone voted on Google+ and I am counting it!) Especially as I have like 100 pages left of Flawed, the last book before I read one from this poll! (By the way, in the event of a draw, I will be choosing the book that was chosen first, so at the moment I will be reading Paper Towns!)
 So I will see you tomorrow, when I will likely be doing another review!
Byeeeee!

-Abi xxxxxx


No comments:

Post a Comment