Wednesday 3 February 2016

Unbecoming, by Jenny Downham

Hey guys, this is Abi here,
And OMG, I can't seem to shake this cold...
But no matter, I'm still going to be posting as regularly as before, and today I am doing a review!

Unbecoming, by Jenny Downham
Title: Unbecoming
Author: Jenny Downham
Genre: YA Contemporary 
Release date: September 2015 
Pages: 437 
Blurb: "Three women-three secrets-one heart-warming story.
Katie, seventeen, in love with someone whose identity she can't reveal. 
Her mother Caroline, uptight, worn out  and about to find the past catching up with her. 
Katie's grandmother, Mary, back with the family after years of mysterious absence and 'capable of anything', despite suffering from Alzheimer's. 
As Katie cares for the elderly woman who brings daily chaos to her life, she finds herself drawn to her. Rules get broken as allegiances shift. Is Mary contagious? Is 'badness' genetic? 
In confronting the past, Katie is forced to seize the present. As Mary slowly unravels and family secrets are revealed, Katie learns to live and finally dares to love." 

My Thoughts
I always knew that I was going to read this book, purely because I'd read 'Before I Die', and loved it. 
With a book that deals with all the heavy stuff (coming out, dementia, and disability to name a few (there are more)), you wouldn't think that a book like this would work, but it SO does. And I'll tell you why: because it surrounds family. 

This book, from the outside looks incredible cliche and a little bit depressing, but seriously, it isn't. And anyone who has read it will agree with me. 

This is because hope is sowed into every chapter. Every character, and every action of every character. 
Everything in this book is incredible, but the characters are the beginning, middle and end, and the main plot is seeing all the characters going through a journey, and starting in one point, and ending in a completely different place, and it is a journey of pain, seeking further into illness, and gaining hope, and I am so glad that Jenny wrote this masterpiece that is Unbecoming. 

So, that is all that I have for you today guys, I will see you on Friday, bye! 

-Abi xxxxx 

No comments:

Post a Comment