Wednesday 13 April 2016

The Girl With All The Gifts, by M R Carey

Hey guys, this is Abi here,
And I told you I'd finish this book today! So, I am going to do a book review on it!
So, let's get on with the post!

The Girl With All The Gifts, by M R Carey
Title: The Girl With All The Gifts
Author: M R Carey
Genre: Utopian and Dystopian Fiction
Release date: 14th January, 2014
Pages: 460 
Blurb: "Every morning, Melanie waits in her cell to be collected for class. When they come for her, Sergeant Parks keeps his gun pointing at her while two of his people strap her into the wheelchair. She thinks they don't like her. She jokes that she won't bite. But they don't laugh." 

My Thoughts
This was one of the books on my TBR that I wasn't super enthusiastic about (that seems to be the case with quite a few of my TBR pile), but I knew that I wanted to read it, because I had bought it. And because I knew I wanted to read it, I also knew that if I didn't take the initiative and just start reading it, it would be on my TBR for all eternity, and I didn't want to do that. So naturally I started it. And I was so glad that I did. 
This book pulled me in from the first chapter, and it didn't let me go until the last page. I started the story, and it surprised me how easily I got into the story, and considering the plot, before I started reading it, it seemed like a hard thing to do. 
The writing was a big part of what pulled me in. Mostly descriptive, but what dialogue there was impacted the plot a whole lot. 
There were multiple POV's, it wasn't just surrounding what happened to Melanie (although she was so interesting M R Carey could have written an entire book just on her perspective), there were other people's perspective, which I wasn't expecting (that's a good thing). 
Also, the plot had me on tenterhooks for most of it. It got me a bit slow about halfway, but for the most part, I was captivated. 

So, I really enjoyed this book, which I wasn't expecting. This book had a lot of surprises, all of them good. The comments of the back of the book, like: "If you only read one novel this year, make sure it's this one", and "Takes hold of you and never lets you go", are true. So, if you are on the fence as to whether or not you should read this book, definitely read it. You won't regret it! 

So, those were my thoughts on The Girl With All The Gifts! That's one TBR Jar Challenge down, one to go (and another that I'm waiting for the book to be released). But that is all that I have for you guys today, I will see you tomorrow, and... bye! 

-Abi xxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment