Wednesday 3 May 2017

The Hate U Give, by Angie Thomas

Hey guys, this is Abi here,
And even though I said in my wrap up that I wouldn't be reviewing books unless I had a bunch of thoughts and opinions on it, but luckily for this one, I do!
So here is my review of The Hate U Give, by Angie Thomas.
Enjoy!

The Hate U Give, by Angie Thomas
Title: The Hate U Give
Author: Angie Thomas
Genre: Contemporary
Release date: 6th April
Pages: 438
Blurb: "What's the point of having a voice
if you're gonna be silent
in those moments when you shouldn't be?
Sixteen year old Starr lives in two worlds:
the poor neighbourhood where she was
born and raised and her posh high school
in the suburbs. The uneasy balance between
them is shattered when Starr is the only
witness to fatal shooting of her unarmed
best friend, Khalil, by a police officer. Now
what Starr says could destroy her community.
It could also get her killed. "

My Thoughts
This book was always going to be one that I would read as soon as I got it. And doubled by the fact that I had to wait an extra month to read this book made me want to start it all the more.
The premise alone was enough to get me interested. The story is about a girl called Starr, who is the sole witness to her oldest friend Khalil being shot and killed by a police officer- whilst being completely unarmed. Soon afterwards, his death is a national headline, and while some are calling him a thug, others are taking to the streets, trying to get people to notice what has happened. Starr is caught between hiding and saving her and her family's life and business, and speaking out for what is right.

I adore this book. Every point raised in this story was well thought out, and Angie Thomas, despite this being her debut novel, she did not hold back, which I'm glad for because the story she gave us was so realistic, and so truthful, that I flew straight through it.

I love Starr's character so much. She's honestly the perfect role model for young girls trying to find their voice and their identity. She is authentic, brave and knowledgeable, she considers both sides and tries to consider every angle before making a decision. She isn't completely fearless, but over the course of this book you get to see her grow into the resilient and brave character you see at the end of the book.

I also love the family dynamic in this book. This family is so close-knit, so strong, they always have each-other's back. They may argue, or they may not agree on everything, but when it matters they always follow through with them. It was so nice to see a family just doing normal family stuff, and it was such a refreshing aspect to this book.

The strongest element to this book was the opposing political views in this book, which started with the shooting of Khalil (Starr's best friend), and then the repercussions were enormous. I left this book with an entirely new perspective than when I came in. It raised a bunch of new questions about racism, police brutality, discrimination, and prejudice, and answered them in a comprehensive and interesting way, which I really enjoyed.

Although this is a perfect sync into what is happening now, the main message of this book is about using your voice, and standing up for what you believe in. Throughout this book Starr learns how crucial it is to stand up for what you think is right, no matter the consequences.

All in all, I cannot recommend this book enough. It's absolutely my favourite book so far this year, and I hope you guys read it too!

So that was my review of The Hate U Give, by Angie Thomas! I hope you enjoyed it, and if you have any thoughts on this book, let me know in the comments below!
I hope you have a wonderful day, and I will see you all on Friday!
Byeeee!

-Abi xxxxxx




No comments:

Post a Comment