Wednesday 31 May 2017

May Wrap Up (2017)

Hey guys, this is Abi here,
And today I am posting my may wrap up!
This is the first time I am actually talking about what I thought about these books- because I don't want to do a separate review for each book- so let me know what you think about that!
Also! Total achievement- I actually stuck to my TBR this month! I read every single book on my May TBR, which I feel super accomplished for!
So this is my May Wrap Up!
Enjoy!

May Wrap Up (2017)
So I read a total of 6 books this month, which to be honest, I'm pretty happy about. (Especially considering I read the last three books in the past 6 days). These books were:

1. The Sudden Appearance of Hope, by Claire North
This book was one of those that was okay, but I was expecting more from it in some aspects, but I got more than I was expecting in others. The book took a kind of roundabout direction, and it took it's time explaining how the things that were happening, were relevant to the story. This is a story about a thief, and from the time that she was 16, her family, and everyone she knew, started to forget her. From that point on, Hope (who takes on multiple personalities and names), is out to destroy a company called Perfection, whilst also finding a way to finally be remembered. Despite the roundabout way that the story that the story was told, I did enjoy this book. The pacing was off in a few places, but overall it was an enjoyable read, purely because you get the feeling that you never know what is going to happen next. If you're in the mood for an unpredictable, unique read, I recommend picking this one up.

2. Tempest (Tempest #1), by Julie Cross
I read this one purely because I wanted to continue the series (I got Vortex, the sequel, a while ago), and I had forgotten most of the bigger plot points (I read it about a year ago). If you want to know more about my thoughts on this book, you can check out my review here. 
3. Vortex (Tempest #2), by Julie Cross
I also read the second book in the series. And I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I thought it was the perfect lead on from the first one because what we got introduced to at the end of the first book, was carried on throughout the second book. And although the first book had a nice ending, I'm glad I read the second one, because so many things were turned on it's head in this one, and I have to say it was done really well. In Vortex, after saying goodbye to the life that Jackson used to have, he is currently training as a CIA agent, though he is still keeping his time travelling a secret. And even though this wasn't the main point, we got to learn more about Jackson's family, and we got to learn more about Jackson himself, which was nice to see, and it actually made me relate to him more, to see outside the spy-time-traveller person that we've seen so far. This is turning out to be a decent trilogy, and I can't wait to see how it wraps up.

4. The Crooked Sixpence (The Uncommoners #1), by Jennifer Bell
So, I put this on my TBR purely because I was sick of it gathering dust on my bookshelf. And that stuck with me throughout reading this book. I don't know whether it was the fact that I read this in one day (I literally had nothing else to do), or whether it was recommended to me, but the whole thing just dragged. Admittedly, there were a couple of times when I was like "Wow!" moments that I wasn't expecting, but for the most point, I was kind of confused and disappointed about the story, and I doubt I will be carrying on with the series.
5. The Edge of Everything (The Edge of Everything #1), by Jeff Giles
This was another that I read in a day, but for a different reason. I could not put it down! The whole time I was thinking that I need to slow down, because I did not want to finish another book in the day, but I kind of needed to, because it was SO GOOD! This book, actually really surprised me! I will definitely be reviewing this book, and I will definitely be reading the next book in the series, so more detail on those then.
6. After You (Me Before You #2), by JoJo Moyes
Yet another book that I read because I just wanted to finish. But I also wanted to read this just to see how some of my favourite characters doing after the events of the first book. And even though it wasn't as good as the first book, it was still a decent ending to a traumatic duology. This book takes place about a year and a half after Will... yeah. And it's basically about Louisa, getting her life back together after everything that happened with Will. It's about her coming to grips with life once again, and learning to let go of her love to Will. And when his daughter comes in search of Louisa, wanting to know about her Dad, she has two choices: close the door and life continues, simple, safe. Or open the door and risk everything. The story carries on from there, and let me tell you, this book was beautiful. Like not happy cry beautiful, but still hopeful. Recommend to anyone who wants a story about learning to love after someone has passed.  

So that is my May Wrap Up (2017)! I hope you enjoyed it, and if you have any thoughts about any of these books, let me know in the comments!
I will see you all on Friday, and until then, goodbye!
Byeeeee!

-Abi xxxxxxx



No comments:

Post a Comment