Wednesday 29 August 2018

Leah on the Offbeat, by Becki Albertalli

Hey guys, this is Abi here,
And I am back on the book reviews! I took a short break to post the Mamma Mia film review, and even though I still have two more film reviews to get to, I want to put a decent mark in the book reviews that I have left to do!
Next up: Leah on the Offbeat!
Enjoy!


Title: Leah on the Offbeat
Author: Becki Albertalli
Genre: Contemporary
Release date: 24th April, 2018
Status: Standalone
Pages: 339
Blurb: "When it comes to drumming, Leah Burke is
usually right on the beat- but real life is a little
harder to manage. She loves to draw but is too
self- conscious to show it. And she hasn't mustered
the courage to tell her friends she's bisexual,
not even her openly gay BFF, Simon.

So Leah really doesn't know what to do when
her rock-solid friendship group starts to fracture.
With Prom and College on the horizon, tensions
are running high, and it's hard for Leah when
the people she loves are fighting- especially
when she realises she might love one of
them more than she ever intended..."


My Thoughts
So, even though I know I shouldn't do this, I just checked Goodreads, to see what other people thought of this. And I have to say, that I was surprised to discover that there are people that absolutely loved this novel, and there are people that thought it was a bit of dirt on their shoe.
And I'm on the side that thought it was amazing.

Becki Albertalli really outdid herself with Leah on the Offbeat. I found that the story as a whole just flowed better, and even though there wasn't a clear plot right at the beginning, what eventually became the plot points of the story, just were written in so much better (just my personal opinion.)

What I also liked about this book is that it gave me a chance to get to know Leah a lot more than in Simon vs. I have to be honest, I wasn't crazy about Leah after Simon vs but she completely changed my opinion and my perception of her after reading this.

And there's the fact that it's a LGBTQ book as well. I was super happy when I found out that it was going to have a lead bi character, because I don't think I've read a book that features a bi character before, and it was nice to get some representation.

Also, the emotions I felt throughout this book. Because Leah was written so well, I felt everything she felt. The feelings towards her mum's boyfriend, the person she grew to have feelings for (which I won't reveal), the stresses surrounding the person she had feelings for, Uni and Prom. And all these things are happening at once!

 And finally, the characters. I felt that they were so much more developed, and the relationships in this group of characters, just felt so much more realistic than in Simon vs. Maybe it might have been that, I feel like we jumped more into the premise and the story in Simon vs, and we didn't get the chance to get to know the characters. But in this one, we got a bit more personal with not just the lead, but the whole cast of characters, which I think made all the difference.

Overall, I was incredibly surprised by how much I enjoyed this novel. It's no secret that I preferred this one, and even though I don't think we could have got Leah on the Offbeat without Simon vs, I think we were able to get to know the characters a little bit better in this one.
If you have not picked up Simon vs the Homosapiens Agenda and Leah on the Offbeat, I urge you too. These contemporaries are on the Must Read List, so pick them up!


Okay! So that was my review of Leah on the Offbeat! I hope you enjoyed it and feel free to comment on what you thought of either book, I have reviews for both!

So that is all I have for you today! I will see you all on Friday with my August Wrap Up! I hope you have a wonderful day and I will see you then!
Byeee!

-Abi xxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment