Friday 31 August 2018

August Wrap Up (2018)

Hey guys, this is Abi here,
And it's the end of August (finally- I'm so relieved that I can start to wear uggs and jumpers and get ready for the winter months- also birthday in two weeks, which I'm excited for :) )
But because it's the end of the month, that means a new wrap up- enjoy!


BOOKS
I read a total of 10 books this month. I honestly don't think I've ever read that amount, even when some of them were re-reads. Half of them were re-reads, but some of them were read for Booktubeathon, so that's okay with me. Those books were:

1. The Perks of Being A Wallflower, by Stephen Chbosky
An absolute classic, I think it's one of those books that is never going to go away, and it discusses such important issues that were relevant back in the 70s and 80s and (unfortunately) are still relevant today. It's such a well-known book, with the perfect combination of heartache, suffering and epic loyalties and friendship. At this point, I'd even recommend the film, which is just as good!


My review is linked into the title if you want to see my more in-depth thoughts on this. But a very satisfying conclusion to this cut throat, addictive duology about dance, diversity and being the best you can be.


3. Fangirl, by Rainbow Rowell
I've read this multiple times and I never get bored. The bonds between the characters, Cath coming to gripes with all the new and terrifying experiences that come with starting university, the worry for what's going on at home, each plotline has equal amount of development and I am always amazed at how well the whole story gets woven together!

4. The Bad Beginning (Series of Unfortunate Events #1), by Lemony Snicket
The first book in the mammoth size that is this series. What I love about this book is that we get to see where the three are at the start of this series, compared to the end. It's been several years since I picked this series up, and I am overjoyed to start re-reading it again. It's such a quick read, I finished it in a good couple of hours, and even though it wasn't the longest and most in-depth of the bunch, it was a good start to the series.

I can't even begin to describe how much I loved this book. Full thoughts are up on my review, so go and read that if you want to see those. On the whole, I found that I warmed to Leah and her story about admitting to the world about who she is, balancing Uni and Prom, and a group of friends that may or may not be crumbling around her. This book was cute, funny and uplifting, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. So go read it, because it surprised me how much I ended up loving it!

6. War Storm, by Victoria Aveayrd
This is my next book review that will be up, and even though it wasn't as amazing as King's Cage, an amazing end to the Red Queen series! I have seen Victoria Aveyard grow as a writer, and I have to say it was a pleasure to see. I have to be honest, I did not know how this series was going to end, and even though it didn't end the way I thought it was going to, I was satisfied by the end. A series I was happy to read.

7. Songs About A Boy, by Chris Russell
Another amazing end to the series, I was happily anticipating the end to this series, and I wasn't let down. I have loved every single book in this trilogy, out of the three, I could not tell you which was the weak link because they were all so amazing. If you are in the mood for a light and fluffy contemporary, full of love and friendship, dreams, and tension between gorgeous teenage boys, then this is the read for you. When I picked up the first book, I wasn't expecting much. But I came away amazed that I had actually enjoyed it! A favourite this year, for sure.

8. The Reptile Room (Series of Unfortunate Events #2), by Lemony Snicket
9. The Wide Window (Series of Unfortunate Events #3), by Lemony Snicket

What I liked about the second and third books in this series is that I can already see a change in the Baudelaire children. They stop being the three children that lost their parents and 1) begin to get closer to each-other and work as a team, and they show determination even in the face of danger. Multiple times. More on the next books in the months leading up to 2019. (I really want to finish the series before the end of the year.)


10. Nightblood (Frostblood #3), by Elly Blake
And finally, the third and final conclusion to a trilogy that I finished this month! After having been totally and completely overjoyed by how much I had enjoyed the second book Fireblood, I had high expectations going into Nightblood, which is why I decided to pick it up. And it had so much action, and so much suspense, that I couldn't help but love it. Overall, such an enjoyable trilogy. If I do have one complaint, it would be that I wish I hadn't read Nightblood and War Storm in the same month. Nothing against the books, but the protagonists were extremely alike. But this book I can't fault.



 FILMS (I'm just doing films this month because I didn't watch any tv shows.)
My review of the film is linked into the title, but here's the overall of this film: although I loved that it was a story about the characters and what happened to Donna, it wasn't as much of a smash hit as the first one. Which was fine with me! What I look for a book or a movie are developed characters that I can relate or empathise or follow through the story. The songs weren't quite as well known, but I still enjoyed it all the same. Also, the younger renditions of the characters that we already knew so well were extremely accurate.

2. The Incredibles 2
I can't tell you how long I have waited for this film, and now that it is here: I was not surprised at all how much I loved this film. The identity of who the antagonist was, I figured out fairly quickly, but when it comes to the comedy, it was right on point. I loved that the character that I related to the most got more of a supporting role in the movie, right from the get go, and also the fact that the whole family were more involved from the start, which I loved, because they were able to work as a team when it seemed impossible that they would succeed. Actually enjoyed this more than the first film. Definitely getting this on DVD when it comes out.

3. The Meg
I don't have the words to describe how I felt when I was watching this film. All I can say is that every time these people come near this shark, my legs were up at my chin for how close they came to being eaten. And some of them were. But as harsh as it is to say, it didn't get my heart racing nearly as much as it did during the I'm-sure-they're-going-to-get-eaten-but-actually-won't points within the film. And there were a lot of them. But one thing I will say is that the makers of the film were really good with balancing the menacing shark attacks to the humour, and the romance going on between two people on the team working on the sea, and then taking out the shark in the film. And whenever a shark attack was over, I was recuperating, waiting and recovering for the next inevitable shark attack until the end of the film. It kept you on the edge of your seat, but not too far- else you would be eaten! Review coming soon.


4. To All the Boys I've Loved Before- Netflix
It's no surprise that I was going to watch this at some point because the whole world is raving about it! This film is everything. The people cast were perfect for their roles, all three sisters were perfect, Peter and Josh, Chris, Gen too. This film was so funny and cute, I was amazed that my heart didn't explode because this film was so.damn. cute. Go watch it if you haven't.


WRITING
As for writing, I've done a fair amount, though nowhere near as much as last month. As for next month, as much as I doubt that I will be able to get much done, I will do what I can.
I am currently checking such things as eye colour/hair colour etc to make sure it's all consistent before advertising for beta readers. So look out on my twitter for when I'm recruiting!


Okay! So that was my especially long winded wrap up for August! I hope you enjoyed it, and if you left before the end, I don't blame you! If you've stuck through to the end, congrats! Much appreciated.
So, that'll be all for this post, I hope you have a wonderful day and I will see you all on Monday!
Byeeeeeee!

-Abi xxxxx











No comments:

Post a Comment