Friday 10 August 2018

Monsters of Verity duology, by V.E. Schwab

Hey guys, this is Abi here,
And I'm posting a full review of the duology for Monsters of Verity, because it saves precious posts!
With nothing more to say, enjoy the review!

Titles: This Savage Song & Our Dark Duet
Author: V.E. Schwab
Genre: Fantasy
Release dates: 7th June, 2016 (This Savage Song) & 13th June, 2017 (Our Dark Duet)
Status: Full duology review
Pages: 407 & 470
Blurb (of This Savage Song, because spoilers):
"Kate Harker and August Flynn are the heirs to a divided city- a
city where the violence has begun to breed actual monsters. All
Kate wants is to be as ruthless as her father, who lets the
monsters roam free and makes the humans pay for his
protection. All August wants is to be human, as good-hearted as
his own father, to play a bigger role in protecting the
innocent- but he's one of the monsters. One who can steal a
soul with a simple strain of music. When the chance arises to
keep an eye on Kate, who's just been kicked out of her sixth
boarding school and returned home, August jumps at it. But
Kate discovers August's secret, and after a failed assassination
attempt the pair must flee for their lives."

My Thoughts
After actually reading the synopsis for once, I have to say, this duology is so much more than the synopsis. The plot lines are just so much fuller than they seem from that synopsis. And I didn't realise it until now.

There are just so many characters and group dynamics that have nothing to aren't a part of what it says. This is something that I liked. It meant that there was always something happening, particularly in the second book. Which brings me to the different perspectives.
What I loved about the different perspectives was that I felt like they were perfectly chosen, to ensure that I got the entire picture of what was happening on both sides of Verity.
And each perspective was unique and interesting, or sad or determined. It didn't take long at all for me to be able to recognise what character I was reading from.

Not even just Kate and August, but all the side characters (to be honest, the side characters became some of my favourite characters) but these perspectives came in at the right time throughout the duology.

The writing was phenomenal, so brutally beautiful. Actually, I loved how the language changed, depending on which perspective I was reading from. But it did not matter whom I was reading from, I was sucked in with each impossibly amazing chapter.

On the other hand, (hate to give a negative point for this duology) but for this duology, mostly in the first book, it took a while for the story to get going. I get that we, as readers, need to get to grips with a new duology, the world, which is very different from our own, and all the new characters, but it took a while for the story to get going with the stories.
But saying that, there wasn't a spare moment to breath once it did get started.

Of course, because of the premise, of course this book was going to be a little dark. Which it definitely fulfilled that part. Honestly, these characters, I love them so much, but they're so cutthroat! The things that they say, are so dark and cutthroat, you would not believe.

So overall, I thoroughly enjoyed this duology! I am so happy that I decided to finally pick up a V.E. Schwab, and I am eager to reach for another! I highly recommend this duology, so pick it up if you think you might enjoy it!

So that is my review of the Monsters of Verity duology! I hope you have a lovely day and I will see you all on Monday!
Byeeeee!

-Abi xxxxxx





No comments:

Post a Comment