Friday 17 August 2018

Midnight (Skulduggery Pleasant #11), by Derek Landy

Hey guys, this is Abi here,
And today I am carrying on with my string of reviews! Up next:
Midnight, Book 11 of the Skulduggery Pleasant series!
Enjoy!

Title: Midnight
Author: Derek Landy
Genre: Fantasy
Release date: 29th May, 2018
Status: Book 11 in the Skulduggery Pleasant series
Pages: 418
Blurb: "Skulduggery Pleasant is dead.
Valkyrie Cain is cool.
Omen Darkly is
neither.

For years, Valkyrie Cain has struggled to
keep her loved ones safe from harm, plunging into
battle-time and time again- by Skulduggery
Pleasant's side, and always emerging triumphant.

But now the very thing that Valkyrie fights
for is in danger, as a ruthless killer snatches
her little sister in order to lure Valkyrie
into a final confrontation.

With Skulduggery racing to catch up and
young sorcerer Omen scrambling along
behind, Valkyrie only has six hours to
find Alice before it's too late."

The clock is ticking... "

My Thoughts
I have to say, as soon as I finished this book, I went on to the internet and tweeted Derek Landy: "when is book 12 out? I just finished Midnight and I NEED IT" and he nicely replied.
Book 12 comes out next summer. And I can't wait for the final book in this extra added on trilogy to the most epic series ever. The plotlines that were tacked on the end were INSANE. (I feel like I say this a lot but I have no idea how it's all going to wrap up.)

But this book, the minute I started it, I knew it was going to be a lot better than I thought Resurrection had been. Resurrection was slightly underwhelming from the beginning, but I was relieved to find that Midnight wasn't actually going to be the same. Even though the beginning didn't really have much of a plot- it took time for the whole story to come together into some coherent sense- it was still lovely to see the characters that I have grown to love, especially as I got to read about one of my absolute favourite characters returning... I'm not saying who.
But... I have to admit, although I loved the humour and the jokes, the first hundred or so pages weren't the best.
But once you got past those, the story took a huge turn for the better, and I knew that Derek Landy was well and truly back!
I actually think that I read the second half of the book in approximately a day! There was a time limit, which had Valkyrie progressively nervous and anxious which, from experience is not nice to experience, but it interesting to read about.
Yes I am a despicable human.

But I have to admit that I was an emotional rollercoaster during this second part of the plot. Like, the main point about Valkryie fighting crime is that she's supposed to be protecting the family. But I have to admit, the twist that she has to go through everything by herself was decent, because it was entertaining to see her kick some ass by herself, to show how much she has matured over the years that she's been training.

The dialogue was witty and sarcastic and so so funny, and is always a joy to read. It just works for these characters, and it's always the icing on top of the cake. It just takes the cake.
Now I want cake.

Overall, it was a joy to pick this series up again, and I am so happy about what I read, and super anxious as to how Landy is going to wrap it all up next year!

Okay, so that was my review of Midnight, from the Skulduggery Pleasant series! I hope you enjoyed it and I will see you all on Monday with my next review!
I hope you have a lovely weekend and I will see you then.
Byeeeee!

-Abi xxxx





No comments:

Post a Comment