Wednesday 1 August 2018

July Wrap Up (2018)

Hey guys, this is Abi here,
And I didn't post on Monday because I was finishing Midnight, by Skulduggery Pleasant for the booktubeathon and there wasn't enough time to get to July's Wrap Up.
So I'm doing it today!
This is everything that I got up to in July!
Enjoy!

BOOKS
So I read a total of six books in the month of July:

As always, because I've done a full non-spoiler review on the Night Circus, the link is coupled into the title. This book was full of mystery and intrigue, and it was so fun to see seemingly random scenes start to make sense and fold into the overall story as I started to progress deeper into the novel. These characters hold magic, hope and the ability to pull you into the mystery that is the Night Circus and leave you invested from the moment that you pick up the book. Absolutely loved this.

2. Children of Blood and Bone (Legacy of Orisha #1), by Tomi Adeyemi
This book was so good, I finished it in something crazy like four days! (And considering how long it's been taking me to finish books recently that's amazing!). But at least now I understand what all the hype is about when it comes to this novel! What I loved about this novel was that stuff started straight away. I wasn't left sitting, waiting for something to happen, and that was the case throughout the entire book. I'm not going to say it was the most perfect book ever, because there was a couple of things that I had a problem with, which I will go into a bit more in my full review. (So look out for that.)

3. This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity #1), by V.E. Schwab
4. Our Dark Duet (Monsters of Verity #2), by V.E. Schwab
I cannot believe how quickly I flew through this duology! I read the whole thing in three days! I actually did. Both reviews are coming soon, I promise that. But I am so glad that I've finally got to something that V.E. Schwab has written! Again, I can see why there's so much hype surrounding not just this duology, but all the books that she has written. I can't wait to pick up her other books!

5. Asking For It, Louise O' Neil
I don't know what it was about this book, but once I picked it up, I could not stop reading it. I picked it up the day after I finished Our Dark Duet, and I finished it that morning. I'm not going to say it was a pleasure to read it, because what happened in it was despicable, but it's an important book that sends a message. And that's all I'm going to say on it.
6. Midnight (Skulduggery Pleasant #11), by Derek Landy
Going into this, I was nervous. The first book in the trilogy, Resurrection, wasn't the best and I was slightly underwhelmed compared to what I had read in the previous series. But the moment I opened the book and started to read, I knew it was not going to be the case with this one. It was like all the things that I loved about the original series were included in this book. The humour was there, the puns, funny one liners, and the kick-ass characters are all back! It starts off decent, and then you get to a point in the book, maybe halfway, and then it becomes AMAZING. Also, there's one book left in the trilogy, and I have no way how it's all going to wrap up! I'm nervous. Review is most certainly coming soon.

TV AND FILM
FILMS (I didn't watch any TV shows so I'm not including it.)
I have been to see a couple of films in the cinema this month. I enjoyed both of them in different ways because they are vastly different films. Again, I will be posting reviews in both of them when I can (I don't know when that is going to be though.) So watch out for those.

1. Mamma Mia Here We Go Again
Because I'm the type of person that builds my stories and my writing around the characters, which is the mean reason why I enjoyed this film so much. It was heavily centred around what happened to Donna all those years ago, leading up to the birth of Sophie. I have to say, the editing was done really well, because the film was constantly jumping from Sophie, and what she was doing, as well as Donna's story. And because I know the original so well, it wasn't hard to keep track of both perspectives, but I feel like it would have been if I didn't know it so well. But overall, I thoroughly enjoyed this film because, even though it wasn't as much of a smash hit as the first one, there was more of a plot to this one.
2. The Incredibles 2
I only went to see this yesterday, but it still counts as July. I have to say, I was looking forward to coming back to the sequel, especially as they kept us waiting 10 YEARS goddamn it for the sequel, but I was not expecting to laugh as much as I did for Incredibles 2. There are so many comedic parts that I could mention that were right on point, they never miss a beat with this film. There was also the perfect combination of creepy, sneaky scenes, surprises regarding the plot (though I saw the identity of the bad guy coming a mile away) and just the right amount of characters and kick-ass moments. I love how much more the kids were in it, as opposed to just entering and becoming epic at the end of the film, like what the first one did. To be fair, the children: Violet, Dash and Jack-Jack provided most of the funny reactions to the story (not in a bad way.) More on my movie review.


WRITING
I did get some writing done, though not as much as I would like to. I've had some problems with Microsoft Office this month, so I haven't been able to get much done, but those problems are now sorted and I am ready and motivated to write!


Okay, so that is what I have been up to in the month of July! I hope you have had a wonderful month full of bookish things and events (I wish I could have been at YALC, but there was nobody to go with- I'll be there next year- even if I have to go by myself- I'll be there.)
Let me know what your month has been like!

I will see you all on Friday with my August TBR! See you then! Byeeeeeee!
-Abi xxxxx



No comments:

Post a Comment