Wednesday 23 January 2019

This Cruel Design (This Mortal Coil #2), by Emily Suvada

Hey guys, this is Abi here,
And this is my second attempt at this review! (First time around I hit publish when I was meant to hit Save, and the post went live when it was meant to be for the next day.)
So here I am, writing Post, pt. 2.
I hope you enjoy it!

Title: This Cruel Design
Author: Emily Suvada
Genre: Science Fiction
Release date: 29th October, 2018
Status: Book 2 in the "This Mortal Coil" trilogy
Pages: 435
Blurb: "In bunkers and strongholds across the world, people
are celebrating. There's a vaccine to the virus that has
ravaged the planet for years.

But the vaccine isn't working. The virus is evolving.
Catarina-gene hacker- reluctant warrior- must find
the one person who can help: her estranged father,
who is guilty of unimaginable crimes.

Time is ticking. She has three days before the
shadowy gentech corporation Cartaxus will use lethal
code to wipe out every person on the planet's surface.
Kill the hosts, kill the virus.

Forced to question everything she knows and everyone
she trusts, and with the end approaching, Cat discovers that
the biggest threat of all may be buried in her own mind."

My Thoughts
If I had to use one word to describe this book, the word I would use is explosive. There was no way I was even close to predicting what was going to happen. There were so many twists and turns within this novel, particularly from the end of the chapters. Like in the first book, the ends of the chapters left you wanting to keep reading until the sun came up (if you were reading at night at least.) The end of chapters is definitely a strength of Suvada's.


Another thing I liked was the characters that we got to meet in this novel. They made themselves known and they definitely ruffled the group dynamic. I would go as far as to say that these characters were one of the best parts of the book. They caused some tension, and when a plot twist arose, the sides that they stood on entertained and surprised the hell out of me.

Those are the things I liked.

On the other hand, there's the science. Although it's really easy to follow the science in the book, and the part that it plays to drive the plot forward, there's so much of it, that it's a little overwhelming. I mean, I'm a science geek. I found it interesting, but there's something about the science in this book that just rubs me off the wrong way. I had to be in the right mood to pick this book up, and I guess that's why it took me so long to get through it.

Also, everyone on Goodreads appears to love this novel. I mean, I thoroughly enjoyed it too. But there were parts in this novel that I just weren't motivated to read. It was like, the moment I realised how quickly I was flying through this book, I suddenly didn't feel like reading it anymore. It was a very conflicted reading experience.

Predictions for Book 3:
-A big showdown. After the ending, I have an idea of what will be going on in book 3. Whether I'm right or not, I'll have to wait until it's released to find out.
-I think something will happen with Cat and Cole. I don't know what, but I know for sure that it'll be interesting.


Okay! That was my review of This Cruel Design! I hope you enjoyed it and let me know what you thought of the book in the comments!
Right, that's that! I hope you have a wonderful weekend and I will see you all on Monday!
Byeeee!

-Abi xxxxxx





No comments:

Post a Comment