Monday 7 January 2019

Two Dark Reigns (Three Dark Crowns #3), by Kendare Blake

Hey guys, this is Abi here,
First review of the year! I'm glad it's going to be a positive one!
This is the third, the penultimate book in the Three Dark Crowns series, and it came out in September!
Enjoy!

Title: Two Dark Reigns
Author: Kendare Blake
Genre: Fantasy
Release date: 4th September, 2018
Status: Book 3 in the Three Dark Crowns series
Pages: 450
Blurb: "The battle has been fought, blood has been spilt and a queen has
been crowned, but not all are happy with the outcome.

Katharine, the poisoner queen, has been crowned and is trying
to ignore the whispers that call her illegitimate, undead, cursed.

Mirabella and Arsinoe have escaped the island of Fenbirn, but
how long before the island calls them back?

Jules is returning to Fenbirn and has become the unlikely
figurehead of a revolution threatening to topple Katharine's
already unsteady rule.

But what good is a revolution if something is wrong with
the island itself?"


My Thoughts
I have to say, I honestly don't know what I was expecting with this novel, leading up to it. Having been completely in love with the first novel, and being kind of underwhelmed by the second, even though it was a completely unpopular opinion. But I have had my confidence regained with this third book, for the reasons you are about to find out now.

What I liked:
-I loved the people's reaction to Katharine, especially when the mysterious going ons started happening (if you've read it, you'll know what I mean.) It was like Katharine was being punished for what she did in book two. Nevertheless, it was fun to see her get more and more nervous as the book went on.

That, although it was a bit more of a slow burner than the other two (well, a lot), I feel like the plotlines (mostly Arisonoe and Jules') were more than enough to make up for it. I started off preferring Jules' plotline more at the start, but as the book went on, they started to grow more equal.

Things I didn't like:
Although I liked the new characters, they didn't do a whole lot for the story.
That's pretty much it.

Overall observations:
-I love how dark this series' is! Okay, I know that's kind of obvious, it's in the title, but I love how dark the series' is, and it's just got darker! I honestly didn't think that was possible.

-That ending was such a surprise! I have no idea where the story is going to go, but something tells me that we're in for an explosive ending!

Predictions and hopes:
-I hope there is a huge epic battle.
-I hope there aren't too many casualties.
-I hope there isn't a vague ending.
-I think there will be a twist ending, especially considering what happened at the end of this novel.


Overall, my second favourite novel to date.
Not a lot of action happens, it all builds up towards the end of the novel, and this fourth and final book in the series, but the character development is as good as it was in the first book.
The story got darker, and it went in a direction I was really not expecting it to go.
I can't wait for this fourth book!


Okay! That was my Two Dark Reigns review! I hope you enjoyed it and, as always, feel free to post your thoughts on the book in the comments!
I hope you have a wonderful day, and I will see you all on Wednesday!
Byeeee!

-Abi xxxxx







No comments:

Post a Comment