Wednesday 20 July 2016

Glass Sword (Red Queen #2), by Victoria Aveyard

Hey guys, this is Abi here,
And I finally finished Glass Sword like five minutes ago!
So let's get on with the review!



Glass Sword (Red Queen #2), by Victoria Aveyard 


Title: Glass Sword 
Author: Victoria Aveyard 
Genre: Fantasy 
Release date: 9th February, 2016
Pages: 440 
Blurb: If there's one thing Mare Barrow knows, 
it's that she's different. 

Mar's blood is red, but her unique Silver ability-the power to control lightning-has turned her into a weapon that the Silver court will do anything to control. 

As Mare escapes the clutches of Maven, the prince- and friend- who betrayed her, she discovered something shocking: she is not the only one of her kind. 

Pursued by Maven, now a vindictive king, Mare sets out to find and recruit other Red-and-Silver fighters. 

But Mare is treading a deadly path, at risk of becoming exactly the kind of monster she is trying to defeat. Will she shatter under the weight of the lives that are the cost of rebellion? Or have treachery and betrayal hardened her forever?



My Thoughts
I'm not quite sure what to make of this book. Yes, things happened that I wasn't expecting. Yes, there was a good combination of description and dialogue. Yes, I quite liked the characters. If all those things are true, why didn't I read this in double quick time?
Because that is what normally happens when a book is that good. 

In terms of how I liked it, it was much the same as when I read Red Queen for the first time. Maybe the thing for this series is that I'll always enjoy it more the second time around. Because for Red Queen I noticed more the second time around. 

Okay, back to Glass Sword.  

The plot was pretty much exactly what it said on the blurb which I really liked. With some books, it gives a blurb, but it doesn't give you the whole big picture. With this blurb, it gives you the basis of the book. 

In terms of the writing, there was more description then there was in Red Queen, which is to be expected because Mare is experiencing new places as she tries to find the new-bloods. And the good thing is that it didn't get any more or less descriptive, like you weren't drowning in description, trying to keep up with it all. There was the perfect amount of description for how quickly things were happening. 

Which brings me to the pacing. The pacing of this book was FAST. I'm not just saying that. Different things were happening every second. It was all I could do to keep reading. One person used their ability, and then another got shot, and it all just got crazy. 

Now, the characters. There were some crazy ass characters in this one. One in particular creeped me the hell out, and if you've read the book you should know which one I'm talking about. 

In terms of the different abilities the new characters had, some of them were quite cool, and others were just epic. I'm not going to tell you what they are because I don't want to spoil you all, but it's worth picking this book up just for the powers. 

But I suggest reading Red Queen fist though, as it is the second book in the series. 


So that is my review on Glass Sword! I hope you all enjoyed it, I will see you on Friday, and at this point I don't really have any ideas as to what I'm going to be doing. 
Oh! Also, since there's only 11 days left until the month, I have made the consecutive decision to leave reading Six of Crows until next month. So that means I'm just going to be re-reading Harry Potter, because I do really want to finish them before Harry Potter and the Cursed Child comes out. (I'm going to my local Waterstones for the midnight release!)

Have a wonderful day, and I will see you all on Friday!
Bye!

-Abi xxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment